Friday 27 November 2009

A progress update

I've just sat and read through what's on here so far - and it's all about the negative things we're trying to escape, and very little about the positive things we're actually doing. There are a couple of things I can't post about yet - but I thought I'd put an update on what we're getting on with.



I think it's safe to say that we've been in a planning phase since we moved in September. And suddenly, it feels like some of those plans are coming to fruition. With fingers and toes crossed, and the wind in the right direction, there is a real possibility we are on the edge of a fairly significant change in our lifestyle to become the way we want it. It's small steps for now - but that's probably the best way.



So - the bits I can tell you about for now. We absolutely love this cottage. Long term we want our own land so we can be proper smallholders - but apart from the land this place is just perfect. If the landlord lets us we'd like to stay here until we can actually do the full land thing (maybe 2 or 3 years). However we do know someone only 3 miles away who has land. That land was a smallholding until personal circumstances changed for the owners, and is currently pretty much unused. However we are now planning a bit of a co-operative operation. The owner would love to restart doing things on a small scale but is unable to cope with it on her own. So we're going to do it together! We're off up there on Sunday to have a day of of planning - where the veg patch will be, what we're going to grow, do we need a polytunnel, how do we get the chicken run set up etc etc. It's really exciting.



Plus our dog gets on really well with hers (all 4 of them!) and they can run round together in the fields and use up some of that endless energy - a definite bonus!



I've discovered that helston is a newly set up Transition Town. I'm hoping to get involved with that as well, once certain other things have fallen into place. In my ideal world I'll be quite a key member but we'll wait and see about that - I'll tell you more when I can. Positive vibes for Monday afternoon would be good though... ;-) If that idea doesn't come off I'll certainly get involved in some way anyway.



That's enough waffle for now - but I thought I should post and let people know that the dream continues even though we're not online as often now. Our ultimate goals haven't changed - and we're definitely moving forwards right now.



Sonia x

1 comment:

  1. How exciting, the co-operative sounds like a perfect idea and plenty of space for collies to let off steam, has to be a bonus. So happy that things are falling into place, your faith in the dream is paying off, Good for you!

    ReplyDelete